Today I finished the setup of my new mail server. Based on the recently released Sarge 3.1 I used the following configuration:
- exim - as MTA
- fetchmail - to collect my emails from various accounts
- procmail - to pipe incoming mails through the spam and virus filters
- dovecot - IMAP Server
- squirrelmail - webmail interface
- spamassassin - THE anti-spam-solution
- ClamAV - to check new mails for virus
Of course the web interface and the IMAP server are only accessibly through a secure connection.
All the packages used for this configuration can be found in the debian repositories and were easy to install with apt-get. The configuration of the components was not to hard though there were some tricky things (I never thought it could be complicated to get apache2 running in secure mode only - see)
Maybe I’ll write a short HOWTO about it.